Thursday, April 5, 2007

The Teachers

I'm thinking about the teachers, and why I had some of them and not the others. Why did I have Allen, Apple, Dorris, Hall, Nicholson, Pistol, Phillips, Rawls, Regen, Sherwood and Thackston, but not Batey, Burnette, Dvorsky, Floyd, Frierson, Harris, Johns, Landiss, Nance, Spalding or Stroh?

How can I possibly relate, at the reunion, to someone who had Frierson, but not Thackston? Frierson was like a foreign country to me. I didn't go there. I was from the country of Thackston. And Nicholson. And Rawls. I feel nostalgic for them now, not so much as people, but as places where I used to live. Each with its own culture and folkways. How can I explain that to somebody who has never been there?

On the other hand, what do I really remember about Thackston? Memory fails.

"Thackston?"

"No. Frierson."

"Sorry."

"Thackston?"

"Yes."

"Thackstonia?"

"Definitely."

"Thackbeth??"

"Extremely!"

"Nicholson?"

"No. Harris."

"Sorry."

1 comment:

Charlotte Kinnard VanMeter said...

Larry - you had those teachers b/c they taught "advanced" courses, even though we didn't know it????

Checking over their names and my memory, maybe they weren't "advanced" courses. I can remember taking typing and shorthand from Ms Regen because she was my cousin and our newspaper advisor. We had no idea that learning to type properly would hold us in such good stead when the computer came into existence -- and I've made many valuable notes in shorthand while talking with clients on the phone.

All the girls primped and preened themselves before going into Mr Nicholson's classes. What a doll! Mr Apple was my favorite and I talked constantly of him at family dinners. My father was at first jealous (he still hadn't gotten over my crush on Roy Rogers). Do you remember that Mr Apple's daughter had polio and he needed to supplement his teacher's salary. My dad hired him as a night manager at the restaurant and never had a better employee. They became great friends. I saw Mr Apple not long ago at lunch. He looks very much the same; his children are around here and help him with his wife, who now has Alzheimers. I do hope Patsy remembers to invite him to the reunion. I'll remind her.

Larry, try to relate to me -- I had Frierson for "Bible." Bet they don't teach that at HHS anymore!

Your old classmate and neighbor, Charlotte Kinnard